Calling all Filipina women writers and artists! We’re looking for submissions for the 2nd issue of LAKAS.
It’s important now more than ever to RISE against fear, RESIST attacks on our communities, and UNITE for liberation against the fascism of the Trump administration as new executive orders are enacted, as neo-liberal and anti-people legislation and policies are passed, and as violence escalates in our communities.
We must rise and stand in solidarity with our Muslim, Black, immigrant, queer, trans, and gender nonconforming people and communities as we witness growing, blatant attacks. We must also acknowledge that it’s low-income women of color, immigrant women workers, trans and gender nonconforming people, and our children that will bear the brunt these policies.
For the 2nd issue of LAKAS, we want to know how everyone will RISE, RESIST, and UNITE in the current political climate. We’d like to hear your stories of resistance, build community, open a dialogue, and provide resources to support each other.
Please submit writing and art relating to the call above or respond to any of the following prompts:
- In this political climate, how are people rising, resisting, taking action, and building solidarity?
- What are issues affecting our communities as Filipina women, migrants, workers, LGBTQIGNC, students, and youth? What are you fighting for? Why?
- How are our communities being targeted and how will they be impacted under the Trump administration?
- Have you been mobilizing, protesting, or organizing? Perhaps you attended the Women’s March on January 21st or International Working Women’s Day actions on March 8th? Please send us your reflections and images of any actions and protests.
- Are there women in your life that inspire you or motivate you to fight? Are there revolutionary women in your life you’d like to honor? #ModernDayGabrielas #BeGabriela
- How do we uphold and protect the rights and welfare of our communities?
- How do we take care of each other or implement self-care that is accessible and non-capitalistic?
As Women’s Month comes to a close and in honor of International Working Women’s Day, let us rise as modern day warriors carrying the spirit of the Filipina revolutionary woman warrior, Gabriela Silang, and build our collective resistance to end all forms of violence against the people!
The deadline for submissions is on April 20, 2017. Please email your submissions and all inquiries to: email@example.com.
View the submissions guidelines here.